We at Furgiuele Law are strongly committed to respecting your rights and obeying the law - explaining your privacy and data protection rights is important to us.
In this statement, we will explain generally how we protect your personal information.
Privacy and individuals
This statement is about the rights of individuals. While we are also committed to protecting information about companies and other businesses we act for, this policy isn't about them.
When we act for individual clients we need personal information to provide legal services.
We may also get personal information about individuals when acting for businesses. For example, we often get information about employees when acting for businesses.
Our privacy commitments
- We are accountable for the information you give us.
- We will tell you why we need information when we ask for it.
- We will use your personal information only for that purpose, or as the law requires.
- We do not sell your information.
- We keep your information safe. We take security seriously.
If the work we are doing requires us to involve others - for example, other lawyers in another country or a different law firm - we may need to share your data with them.
But we will tell you - and ensure that they understand and respect your rights. They must also comply with local privacy laws - which may be different from the law in your country.
We may also need to share your data with the courts or the government, if the law requires.
If you want to know what personal data we have about you, please ask us - we will tell you unless the law prevents us doing so.
If you ask us for marketing material or attend an event, we will keep your contact information in a database so that we can contact you in the future. If you don't want this, please tell us and we will remove your name.
Please talk to us
A statement like this is only an overview of your rights and our commitments. You'll find more detail about privacy rights below.
We will answer any questions you may have. You can contact us via the “Contact” page on our website.
Consistent with our obligations as professionals, we are dedicated to maintaining high standards of confidentiality and security. Furgiuele Law follows certain privacy principles to help ensure the confidentiality of the Personal Information we hold.
Furgiuele Law takes the protection of Personal Information seriously. Our obligations as legal professionals are governed, in part, by rules of professional conduct which impose duties and obligations regarding the confidentiality of the information provided to Furgiuele Law by its clients. We require all professionals, staff, other employees, contractors and agents who provide services in connection with our delivery of legal and other services to our clients to comply with these obligations.
What information do we collect?
We may collect Personal Information : (1) for the purpose of determining whether Furgiuele Law will enter into a professional relationship; (2) in the course of a professional relationship, or (3) when we otherwise collect Personal Information, for example, when you provide us with information about yourself, or someone else associated with your need for legal services. We hold this information in strict confidence and do not reveal it to anyone unless expressly or implicitly authorized by the person or organization concerned or where permitted or required by applicable law.
In the course of our relationship with you, Furgiuele Law will need to collect, use, and sometimes disclose different types of Personal Information for various purposes associated with the services we provide as directed by you or your organization. Given the nature of our services, it is impractical to list all of types of Personal Information that may be collected, used or disclosed. However, the Personal Information we collect may include:
- your full name;
- contact information, such as your address, telephone number, e-mail address, or job titles;
- information to help establish your identity;
- information regarding your legal requirements, situation, and interests;
- whether you have subscribed to, or unsubscribed from, any our mailing lists, or accepted any of our invitations;
- information regarding your organization or other organizations, including information regarding directors, officers, or employees of our clients or other parties, witnesses, beneficiaries, adverse parties, related parties, parties in interest, business partners, investors, shareholders, security holders, buyers, sellers, business partners, and customers of clients;
- Information regarding your preferences, for example, if you attend one of our events and we collect data relating to your dietary needs;
- your payment information; and
- any other Personal Information that you voluntarily choose to provide to us.
In some cases, we collect Personal Information from third parties such as clients to whom we provide legal services, regulatory and legal authorities, other organizations with whom we or you have dealings, such as government agencies, credit reporting agencies, recruitment agencies, information or service providers, and from publicly available records. We may also collect information from public sources in the context of an investigation or proceedings related to the legal services we are providing to one of our clients.
How do we use and disclose Personal Information?
Furgiuele Law may use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Establishing your identity and compliance with "Know Your Client" and anti-money laundering requirements and other legal obligations. This may require you to provide name, address, employment/business information, and/or other legally mandated forms of identification;
- Billing: which will include the collection, use and disclosure of names, addresses, banking, financial details and/or payment information;
- Provision and development of services/products, such as the provision of legal advice or the conduct of litigation, arbitration, or other legal proceedings, which will include any Personal Information necessary to provide the services requested by you or your organization;
- Analytics: we may also use and analyze the Personal Information provided to us to offer you additional services or products, as well as to track and manage your consent preferences, event reservations and any unsubscribe requests. You may, at any time, advise Furgiuele Law that you do not wish to receive such information from us;
- Internal record keeping and to analyze and help us manage the provision of our legal services;
- Answering your questions, and/or providing you with information or materials you have asked to receive;
- To conduct market research;
- Marketing our own services and products to you by email or other means if you have subscribed to one our mailing lists;
- To keep your information and preferences accurate. For example, from time to time, we may ask you (by email or otherwise) to review your contact details and mailing list preferences and update them as necessary;
- To meet our high quality and professional standards, and to obtain and maintain certification and accreditations which may involve audits of our internal processes;
- To ensure regulatory compliance - for example to conduct conflict checks before we start work and to erect information barriers to restrict access to certain information;
- To permit us or our clients to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we or our clients may sustain;
- To detect help prevent fraud or other illegal activities;
- To meet our insurance requirements;
- To help ensure security and for crime prevention;
- Any purpose which is permitted or required by applicable law; and
- To carry out any other purpose which is disclosed to you and to which you consent.
The marketing email messages sent by Furgiuele Law will give you the opportunity to update your contact details and mailing list preferences or unsubscribe from our mailing lists altogether.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing emails from Furgiuele Law, please follow the unsubscribe link in one of our marketing email messages. You may also contact us using the contact information below, and ask us to update your preferences or unsubscribe from any marketing lists.
Furgiuele Law allows certain authorized third party providers to track and store certain information about visitors to our websites (including domain names, IP addresses and page views as described below).
Furgiuele Law may also disclose Personal Information to organizations that perform services for us. Personal Information will only be provided to such organizations if they agree by way of contract to provide appropriate protection for such information.
Personal Information may also be subject to transfer to another organization in the event of corporate transaction such as a merger, or change of ownership. This will occur only if the parties have entered into an agreement under which the collection, use and disclosure of the information is restricted to those purposes that relate to the business transaction, including determining whether or not to proceed with the business transaction, and is used by the parties to carry out and complete the business transaction.
Lastly, we may disclose your Personal Information for any other purpose to which you consent.
Limiting collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information
Our websites and cookies
In general, you can use our websites without giving us any Personal Information. If you are one of our anonymous visitors, please bear in mind that we may still record certain analytical information and as further set out in this section.
When you visit our websites, we may collect information about your visit including your IP address, your geographic region (as determined from IP address), clickstream through our website, the date and time or your visit, information about your device and network such as the browser you use and its configuration, your connection speed, the pages you view or search for on our website, what links you click, what you download, our page response times, any download or other errors, the length of your visit, and whether the emails we send are opened.
We may use this information to improve the functionality of our website, to tailor or improve the content that we may send or show you, and for analytical purposes to understand how visitors interact with our website, messages and the information we provide.
Consent may be given in different ways such as: a) expressly by signing a document, agreeing through electronic means or verbally; or b) implicitly by providing the Personal Information voluntarily.
There may be circumstances where you have provided Personal Information for one purpose, and Furgiuele Law later needs to use that information for a different purpose. In such circumstances, Furgiuele Law will seek your consent to use the information for the new purpose unless the law permits or requires us to use the information for that new purpose.
Please note that there are circumstances where the collection, use and/or disclosure of Personal Information may be justified or permitted without consent, or where Furgiuele Law may or must disclose information without consent, in accordance with applicable law.
You have the right to revoke your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information at any time. However, revocation of your consent may prevent us from providing services or products to you; in such circumstances, we will discuss with you the reason we need your Personal Information and why the revocation of your consent affects our ability to provide our services or products to you.
Storage and security
Furgiuele Law has taken steps to maintain physical, procedural and technical security for Personal Information.
Furgiuele Law holds Personal Information principally in the cities in which it has offices and nearby municipalities where off-site storage facilities may be located, and such information may be accessed by those individuals that need to know such information in order that Furgiuele Law may provide our services.
Accuracy and access
Furgiuele Law endeavours to ensure that any Personal Information provided and in its possession is as accurate, current and complete as necessary for the purposes for which we use that information.
You have a right to request access to your Personal Information and to request a correction to it if you believe it is inaccurate. In the event that you believe that your Personal Information is not accurate or you wish access to your Personal Information, you may make a request using the contact information provided below.
We endeavour to provide timely access to your Personal Information. However, we may require you to verify your identity to our satisfaction prior to doing so. Further, there may be circumstances where access cannot be granted. For example, we will not grant access where doing so would lead to the disclosure of Personal Information of another individual and that individual refuses to provide consent to the disclosure, or where the information is subject to privilege or other legal restrictions. In such cases you will be notified of the reason why it is not possible to grant access to your Personal Information.
- access Personal Information that you have already provided so that you can correct or update it, or request that it be deleted, or
you may contact Furgiuele Law through the “Contact” page on our website.